UPDATE (2 p.m.) - Local law enforcement has detained individuals who are believed to be connected to the threat related to NCSD school lockouts today.

At this time, local law enforcement does not find a reason to believe there is a continued safety issue to students or staff in relation to today's lockout.

As a result, after-school activities will occur as normal. However, for specific questions regarding your child's after-school activities, please contact their school.

======================================================

Wednesday morning's lockout across the Natrona County School District involved concern by authorities regarding "student access" to "dangerous items," a district official said during a press briefing.

"The concern was that the student involved had access, and that was what raised the concern level to a higher level," Director of Safe Schools Tom Ernst said shortly before noon.

When asked whether the student involved may have had access to weapons, Ernst said, "Dangerous items."

It remains unclear where the student in question may have had access to those items. Detective John Hatcher earlier told reporters that the students who were taken into custody and questioned by authorities were not apprehended at any school.

Hatcher also declined to comment when asked whether the students may have had access to weapons.

Hatcher, in an earlier press briefing at the Casper Police Department, said authorities believe the juveniles involved are current students. Ernst and Southerland told reporters they did not have information as to which school or schools those students attend.

The number of students or other individuals involved in Wednesday's threat has not been disclosed by district or police officials.

Federal authorities are involved in the investigation.

Ernst said Wednesday that the threat may be related to an incident that took place Tuesday night. That separate incident is also under investigation by the Casper Police Department.

Shortly after noon Wednesday, Hatcher told K2 Radio News that the students involved in Wednesday's threat are the same students involved in the Tuesday incident. Hatcher did not comment as to the nature of the Tuesday incident.

But Hatcher did say authorities are working to determine whether the threat and the Tuesday incident are connected.

Ernst said the district was notified of the threat Wednesday morning by Casper police as a result of the Tuesday incident. Neither the Casper Police Department nor the Natrona County School District have described how the threat was discovered.

The lockout was lifted shortly before 10 a.m., when the national school walkout regarding gun violence was set to begin. The district's decision to lift the lockout came after investigators communicated that they believed all students involved had been taken into custody.

"We changed plans within buildings that chose to do it... they were done in-building to protect [student] safety," Ernst told reporters. "We've ended all outside activities right now as a precautionary measure, just to make sure everybody's safe."

No outdoor activities, including sports, will be held on Wednesday. That applies to all schools and activities, including recess and field trips, within the Natrona County School District.

Tanya Southerland, spokesperson for the district, explained that a lockout restricts anyone from entering or exiting a school building. In a lockout, normal school activities continue inside the building.

Ernst said the district was notified of the threat Wednesday morning by Casper police as a result of the Tuesday incident. Neither the Casper Police Department nor the Natrona County School District have described how the threat was discovered.

"We take all incidents of threats being made seriously. They're being actively investigated," Southerland said during the press briefing. "But what I really think we need to continue focusing on just as community members and parents and guardians is communicating with our students that it's not a joke; it can't be a prank."

"The district will be actively investigating, and if your student or child has made a threat, even if they were joking or maybe they just didn't think about it, the consequence they could face may be expulsion," Southerland continued.

Southerland said the district does not have any information indicating that Wednesday's threat was a hoax.

"We're going to take it to the next level," Ernst said of the potential consequences for such threats. "We're going to be potentially expelling every student that makes a threat."

Ernst told reporters that it is fair to say that Wednesday's incident is significantly more serious than recent incidents or threats that have forced lockouts at schools within the district.