One person was taken to Wyoming Medical Center late Sunday after a fire broke out in the attached garage of a family residence.

Firefighter Dane Andersen of the Casper Fire-EMS Department said in a statement that firefighters were dispatched to 133 W. 14th St. shortly before 10 p.m. Sunday.

Upon arrival, they found a small fire in the garage. Firefighters quickly extinguished remaining hot spots.

One occupant of the home was evaluated at the scene and was subsequently taken to the hospital for suspected smoke inhalation. That occupant's condition is unknown at this time.

One family pet was rescued from inside the home, and the other had escaped before firefighters arrived.

Six Casper Fire-EMS units responded, along with Casper police officers and an ambulance.

Smoke was ventilated from the home, and the family was able to return home for the evening.

Investigators with the Natrona County Fire District are working to determine the cause of the blaze.

In his statement, Andersen reminds citizens to remain vigilant with any source of heat in the home. Anything that could catch fire should be kept at least three feet from any source of heat such as a furnace, fireplace, wood-burning stove or portable space heater.

A three-foot 'kid-free zone' should also be maintained around open fires and space heaters. Anyone using a portable heater should turn it off before leaving the room or going to bed.

Smoke alarms should be tested once each month.